The Provincial Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Lanarkshire Middle Ward was constituted and erected at Hamilton, within the Royal Hotel, on the 29th day of April 1878, and included under its jurisdiction three Subordinate Chapters, viz. ‘Robert Burns’ No. 143, ‘Bothwell’ No. 170, and ‘Hamilton’ No. 172.
The following is an extract from the minutes of the provincial Grand Chapter of Lanarkshire dated 22nd July 1878:
“The Committee in terms of Cap. X, Section 8, ordered a meeting of said Provincial Grand Chapter of Lanarkshire to be held in Glasgow on the 22nd inst. At their usual place of meeting and hour for the purpose of reporting to the Supreme Grand Chapter upon the petitions for establishing a Provincial Grand Chapter for the Middle Ward of Lanarkshire in terms of the remit from the last meeting of Supreme Grand Chapter.”
“The meeting then carefully considered the petitions remitted from the Supreme Grand Chapter from Chapters “Robert Burns”, “Bothwell”, and “Hamilton” for the establishing of a Provincial Grand Chapter for the Middle Ward of Lanarkshire.”
It was moved by Companion Thomas M. Campbell and seconded by Companion James Duthie, that the prayer of the petitioners be granted. Companion George W. Donald moved as an amendment, seconded by Companion William Pitt that we do not recommend to the Supreme Grand Chapter the disjunction of those Chapters from the Province and that the prayer of the petitioners be not granted. On the vote being taken, those voted for the motion 10, and for the amendment 4, the motion granting the prayer of the petitioners was therefore declared carried.”